winter

Woman sheds winter coat as spring approaches
Vera_Petrunina / Getty Images Plus
KMBZ News Staff
February 28, 2020 - 6:28 am
Much of the country may be looking at an early spring, but forecasters in Kansas City aren't so sure winter is over just yet.
Read More
Photograph of a driver's hands on the steering wheel of a car, with snow on the windshield
stevanovicigor - iStock - Getty Images Plus
Marc LaVoie
December 13, 2019 - 4:25 pm
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Forecasters say Kansas City could get its first significant snow event on Sunday, with more winter precipitation on Monday. A cold front is expected to enter the area on Saturday, with the first accumulating bands of snow arriving after 1:00 p.m. Sunday. The National Weather...
Read More
Child making Christmas craft
Oksana_S/Getty
Rebecca Crockett
December 10, 2019 - 4:00 am
Gardner, KS - Vacation Bible School is usually reserved for the summer months, but at Grace Baptist Church they're serving it up cold with a Christmas version of VBS. Children's Minister Morgan Walterman came up with the idea last year to help teach kids the meaning behind the holiday. "We get...
Read More
v_zaitsev / Getty Images
KMBZ News Staff
October 10, 2019 - 6:10 am
Kansas City, MO - The first frost of the season is expected this weekend. In the Kansas City Metro, overnight lows are expected in the low to mid 30s for the next few days. Those with green thumbs will look to protect plants and extend the growing season. One way to prepare for the cold...
Read More
tommaso79 / Getty Images
KMBZ News Staff
September 26, 2019 - 6:30 am
Kansas City, MO - The KC Metro could have a cold and wet winter, but also warmer weather, according to the Farmer's Almanac. Kind of like riding a roller coaster. The Farmer's Almanac has dubbed their forecast for this winter 'the Polar Coaster'. Sandi Duncan, managing editor, says when her team...
Read More
Rebecca Crockett
March 06, 2019 - 7:53 pm
Kansas City, MO - Our long suffering winter may soon be coming to an end. After a recent poll, stats confirm that 96% of our followers are tired of winter. The other 4% are wrong. #13daystillspring2019 — NWS Kansas City (@NWSKansasCity) March 7, 2019 Bitter cold and snowy weather set in, despite...
Read More
Marc LaVoie
March 01, 2019 - 6:17 am
Kansas City, MO - There's an old adage about March coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb. The lion is roaring this weekend in Kansas City, where bitter cold temperatures are predicted, along with four to seven inches of fresh snow. The next system will affect eastern Kansas and a large...
Read More
Bill Grady
February 21, 2019 - 12:15 pm
Kansas City, MO - Due to the wintery weather and a record number of people staying at the shelter, the Kansas City Rescue Mission says its food pantry is out of the basics. No one is being turned away however, according to Juliann Hansen, shelter spokesperson. Hansen says the organization has been...
Read More
Marc LaVoie
February 20, 2019 - 5:31 am
Kansas City, MO - Thousands of school kids are taking another day off after a winter storm dropped a fresh blanket of snow on the Kansas City area. Most areas got at least two inches of snow. Freezing rain was reported in some areas early Wednesday. Just passed three inches here in Olathe @...
Read More
Joshua Lott / Getty
KMBZ News Staff
January 29, 2019 - 10:43 am
Kansas City, MO - A deep freeze is on the way as temperatures plunge and dangerous wind chills set in around the Kansas City Metro. The forecast prompted several school administrators around the area to cancel school for Wednesday. See a list of closings here. Protect your self, your kids and your...
Read More

Pages