Update: Harvey slammed the Texas Gulf Coast late Friday

Kansas City woman on vacation feels lucky

August 26, 2017 - 7:23 am

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) -  Houston officials continue to urge people to shelter in place and stay off flooded roadways as Harvey continues to batter the nation's fourth-largest city.

Public Information Officer Keith Smith said Sunday that rescue efforts continue and now are focused on those who feel trapped inside a home or building.

A Kansas City woman is hunkered down in Texas. 

Cheri did not want to use her last name. She was vacationing when Hurricane Harvey hit. Despite her predicament, she's thankful.

"There are people so much worse off than us," she said, noting that some people are left without homes. "We're trying hard not to complain."

Cheri said resources are scarce at the hotel.

Smith said the city's 911 emergency response system has been challenged by sharply increased call volumes since the tropical storm made landfall late Friday as a Category 4 hurricane. 

During a typical 24-hour period, the emergency response system receives about 8,000 calls. But during a 17-hour period following Harvey's landfall, more than 56,000 911 calls were received.

In the first 48 hours of the storm, numerous sites around Houston and Corpus Christi were reporting more than 25 inches of rain.


CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) -  Harvey has been further downgraded to a Category 1 hurricane as it churns slowly inland from the Texas Gulf Coast, already depositing more than 9 inches of rain in South Texas.  Harvey made landfall about 10 p.m. Friday east-northeast of Corpus Christi as a Category 4, with winds in excess of 130 mph (210 kph).

Wind speeds quickly weakened and by early Saturday Harvey was downgraded. It continues to produce gusts of up to 120 mph (193 kph) and sustained winds of 90 mph (144 kph). The National Hurricane Center warns of "catastrophic flooding" over the next few days. 

Emergency personnel in coastal communities like Rockport, just northeast of Corpus Christi, say there's broad damage to buildings. But Rockport Volunteer Fire Department Chief Steve Sims said early Saturday that firefighters were hunkered down at the city's fire station waiting for conditions to improve to assess the damage.




Comments ()