BIO-MICROBICS: The 'why' behind the need for water reuse systems

PODCAST: Discussing the hows and whys of water reuse systems

January 01, 2018 - 7:54 pm
Categories: 

A world with no water means no whiskey, beer, wine or coffee. Which would be the least of our problems. Since 60% of the adult body consists of water and every living cell in the body needs it to keep functioning we would have about 3 days to find a new planet to live on.

PODCAST:

 

Roughly 97% of the world’s water supply, is currently salt water. Of the remaining 3%, two-thirds of the water is still frozen in glaciers. That leaves the remaining 1% for drinking, bathing, cooking, washing dishes, watering our lawns and so forth.  

“The water that we’re using today is the same water the dinosaurs drank, only back then nature could clean it up on its own. Today we don’t have that option,” said Bob Rebori President and founder of Bio-Microbics, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of innovative products that treat water so it can be reused.

Most of the world, including the United States is water starved so water reuse is the only sustainable solution. Water reuse offers an opportunity to significantly expand supplies of freshwater in communities facing water shortages. Coastal areas of the United States, for example, discharge 12 billion gallons of wastewater into estuaries and oceans every day—an amount equivalent to 6% of the country’s total daily water use. Reusing this water directly boosts the nation’s total water supply.

Research by Trucost estimates the environmental and social costs of water use by business globally at around $1.9 trillion per year with one cubic meter of water ranging between $0.10 where it is plentiful and $15 in areas of extreme scarcity.

In many applications, water is very expensive to obtain and clean. Bio-Microbics research and development focuses on producing simple, low cost, robust water treatment systems that lower costs and increase efficiency.

“Let’s say you’re an island country and you don’t have enough fresh water to meet the needs of your growing population. You’re likely using desalinated water which is water from the sea where you have to remove salt. That’s a very expensive process to accomplish and maintain. Once you’ve paid for that once why not use the clean water again and again?” asks Rebori who challenges leaders in 70 countries around the world to change the way they think about water.

Even lower hanging fruit for water resuse applications is greywater which is gently used water from your bathroom sinks, showers, tubs, and washing machines. Greywater may contain traces of dirt, food, grease, hair, and certain household cleaning products.

One of Bio-Microbics areas of focus, manufacturing and distributing systems that treat and resuse greywater from showers and sinks is center stage. As the cost of clean water continues to rise, the company’s role in extending the life of clean water becomes even more important and the return on investment for its solutions is skyrocketing.  

With proper treatment, greywater can be used for showers, sinks, laundry and toilet flushing as well as irrigation of plants. With the world’s population growing at an alarming rate, Rebori told KMBZ that we’re rapidly eroding our limited water supply making it “necessary to have more advanced technologies to rapidly clean and reuse the same 1% of the world’s water that we have. That’s why Bio-Microbics works so hard to educate people about the true cost of water. Once they understand the true cost of water, then they take the initiative to utilize water reuse solutions.”

After 60,000 installations of its products in over 70 countries, Bio-Microbics has learned how to deliver its solutions at a lower price point compared to other technologies while providing adequate even superior treatment for the investment. The reclaimed water adheres to water efficiency standards for most “Green” building certification programs. 

Comments ()