No timetable established for Verrückt's demolition

Evidence still needed in fatal accident investigation

Kara Marxer
May 23, 2017 - 6:15 am
Categories: 

Despite public distaste for a 17-story reminder of a terrible tragedy in Kansas City, Kansas, the world's tallest waterslide will not be torn down in the near future. 

Attorney General Derek Schmidt has asked police for more investigative material surrounding the death of a boy last year on the slide. 

Schmidt said in a statement Monday that his office is still reviewing the case and that he didn't know when the inquiry would conclude.

The Wyandotte County district attorney asked Schmidt's office in December to review the case and determine whether anyone should be charged with a crime related to the death of Republican Rep. Scott Schwab's 10-year-old son, Caleb. Caleb's death on the "Verrückt" water slide at Schlitterbahn Water Park spurred lawmakers to ramp up oversight of amusement parks. The slide cannot be torn down until the inquiry is over, Schmidt said.

The Kansas City police department would not say what information Schmidt requested and a Schmidt spokeswoman was not able to immediately describe the request.

Comments ()